How To Get Rid Of The Skunk Smell On Your Dog
As of October 2015, Skunkmasters has de-skunked almost 300 dogs.
- You should have your dog treated as quickly as possible. The longer skunk oil sets on your dog’s coat, the deeper it settles into your dog’s coat, under-coat and skin. It progressively becomes harder and harder to remove.
- DO NOT BRING YOUR DOG INTO YOUR HOME! THE SKUNK ODOR WILL SPREAD THROUGH OUT YOUR HOME. Our guide offers some emergency tips on how to secure rapid relief from the skunk odor in your home.
- First, try to isolate and calm her. Do not bring her to a bathroom, if possible, since most bath tiles are actually porous and will absorb the skunk oils even though they are waterproof. Those tiles will absorb the skunk oil and smell until thoroughly washed.
- In all likelihood, she took a direct hit to her face and is quite uncomfortable. Try to wash the eyes with simple saline eye wash available at any drug or grocery store. The saline wash will relieve any burning sensation she might be enduring. No Saline? Just use cool water and try to confine water treatment to her eyes.
- Do not wet your dog. Water at this point will only make the problem worse.
- Professional groomers dislike removing skunk odor from dogs in their shops. It smells up their shop and does not help their business. The initial de-skunking treatment should be performed at your home, preferably outside, as soon as possible after your dog is first sprayed.
- Consider having your dog professionally groomed after the odor has been removed. Skunkmasters is strictly an emergency dog and house de-skunking service. We refer professional groomers all over the Chicagoland area.
- Relax and take a deep breath. If you can’t have us come to your home, we have a DIY guide you can purchase. The guide details the same process we use to remove skunk odor on our emergency house calls. We have de-skunked more dogs using this complete procedure than anyone else in the United States!
- There is only one way to de-skunk your dog correctly and safely. Get our guide. Get it done right the first time.
We offer 18 hour (6:00 AM to 12:00 AM) telephone support for our guide nationwide. 847-232-9675 in Illinois or 888-331-9998 Nationwide. You may purchase our guide and phone support by clicking the blue button at the top of this page.